remember how i said i “loved” texas the other day? well, here’s how the great state treated me once i landed on frontier soil:
- 7:55pm – land at love field and taxi for an extra 35 minutes while we wait for some other southwest jet to get out of the way.
- 8:30 – begin standing and staring at the carousel in baggage claim.
- 8:50 – realize that my luggage didn’t make it. i go to the baggage claim desk and they inform me that there was a huge mistake and a bunch of bags flew to houston instead. this is bad for three reasons: first, melissa and holden have come to pick us up and there’s no way i’m asking them to stick around for another hour and a half to see if my bag arrives. two, the bag includes my sunday morning wardrobe. what would i do without it? third…and most important…we had packed a few slices of pizza from our favorite pizza joint, so we could have a little taste of socal for dinner right here in lewisville. bummer.
- 9:30 – arrive home…grab keys…and start to turn right around and drive back to dallas to see if my bag came in.
- 9:32 – wanda feels bad for being gone from our dogs for a week, so she decides they can ride with us down to the airport. can you say dumb idea? blasted little yappers…
- 10:05 – arrive back at the airport to be told by the baggage claim lady that my bag didn’t come from houston and they had no idea where it was. no idea? come on, is some baggage handler in texarkana eating my pizza?
- 10:20 – hop back in the car to make the long, sad trek back home. start thinking about what fast food joint we have to drive through with the dogs, so we can finally get dinner…that we don’t want. we haven’t eaten since 10:00am…
- 10:35 – receive a phone call from the airport. my bag arrived! turn around. back to the airport.
- 11:15 – eating microwaved pizza from munchies. this is a great moment. short-lived. but great.
- 11:30 – corey calls me on the way home from his baseball game. we realize that the keys to our other cars (the cars i need to drive in the morning) are back at his house in roanoke. no men’s breakfast for me…
- 11:40 – wanda realizes that we left one of her bags in the trunk of melissa’s car. the one with her meds and brush and toothbrush. she’ll live, but my next day just got more complicated.
- 11:50 – i plug in my laptop…only to face the reality that the a/c jack is completely shot. dead. gone. history. the timing is amazing. i’m ready to rock and jump right back into north point life, and i’m facing the probability of losing the hub of my sermon writing and communication for a week…or more! not to mention having to pay for the dumb thing! argh…
- 12:30 – laying in bed thinking “this is messed up”.
- 8:15am – text melissa to ask her to leave wanda’s bag on her porch, so i only have to drive to denton to pick it up. she’s already at work…in frisco. great. we’re off to an awesome start.
- 9:oo – text bill to get my other jeep key that i borrowed while we were gone. i find out he’s in memphis.
- 9:30 – i have to ask melanie to drop the key off at the house.
- 9:35 – i turn on my laptop…hoping there’s enough battery for me to put password protection on it (which i’ve never felt a particular need to install) , since i’m going to take it in to a repair shop and pretty much give them access to my whole life. the battery runs out before i can get it done. can you say identity theft?
- 10:15 – i put the spare key that melanie brought back in the jeep ignition. it doesn’t work. it goes in, but it doesn’t turn. gee. what a surprise.
- 10:30 – i start walking to the north point office…hoping the set of keys i have are the right ones to the NP church van. hoping.
- 10:50 – yesssss. the keys work. the tables finally turned!
picked up wanda’s purse and then dropped off my laptop. not only did the guy tell me he might be able to get it done by the end of the workday, but that it would cost about half as much as i thought. and he backed it up. i picked it up at 7:00 this evening. all is well. and i’m back and ready to rock.