for those of you who are new readers since that time, let me explain. for a couple of years, i wrote nearly every tuesday on the topic of marriage. sometimes it was deep. sometimes controversial. sometimes funny. but always about marriage from my perspective.
nine months ago, the well kinda dried up.
but i’m back…and ready to toss some things out there that might be helpful to your marriage again. every tuesday. and i hope you’ll throw your two cents in.
so i want to start off with a few questions…
- what do you really believe about marriage?
- why is marriage such an important thing?
- where did the idea of marriage come from?
- do we get to define what marriage is…or is there an objective definition outside of us?
- what makes a marriage?
- does marriage have a purpose?
- whose marriage do you really admire? why?
- under what circumstances do you believe divorce is the answer?
- have you read any good books on marriage?
- what part of marriage are you really good at?
- what parts do you stink at?
- do you intentionally work at making your marriage better?
- where do you go for help when your marriage is struggling?
i could write dozens more questions. for tonight, though, my answers are not important. what is important is whether you are asking those (and all the other) questions…and working at finding the answers. for yourself. for your marriage. for your future marriage.
i won’t apologize. i think wanda and i have a great marriage. we’ve been at our relationship for 42 years (37 married). it may sound cliche, but she is my best friend…as i am hers. this isn’t because we default into it by simply living under the same roof for so long. we actually have a lot of great friendships. but nothing like the one we have with each other.
we are not perfect. we have each made mistakes. but we have learned. we don’t make up our own ground rules for marriage. we submit ourselves to a greater source. we are still learning and growing. and we have experience to pass on.
if you have some issues that you think we ought to address here on marriage tuesday, pass them on. we’ll deal with them. if you have questions about marriage, bring them up. we’ll dialogue right here
i don’t know about you, but i’m glad marriage tuesday is back.